Instagram competitions are a fantastic way to create a buzz, spark engagement and, potentially, attract new followers.
Forethought and planning is the key to running a successful competition that helps you to build your Instagram presence and keeps you on the right side of the Insta gods.
Instagram Competition Do’s & Don’ts
Instagram has clear rules regarding promotions and competitions on the platform and, luckily, they are much easier to navigate than Facebook’s promotion guidelines.
Here’s an overview of what you need to know…
- Do include clear terms & conditions
- Do include a complete release of Instagram by every entrant/participant.
- Do make it clear that your promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Instagram.
- Do check what the rules and regulations governing promotions and prizes are in your part of the world.
- Don’t inaccurately tag content (for example, tagging someone in a photo they are not in).
- Don’t encourage users to tag themselves or anyone else inaccurately.
Before you hit publish on your Instagram competition, be sure to check Instagram’s current promotion guidelines as they do change from time to time.
Aside from abiding by the rules, these top tips will give your Instagram competition the best shot at success:
- Choose a prize that is relevant to your business – this will help you to attract the right people, as opposed to “compers” who aren’t actually interested in becoming part of your crowd.
- Have a clear purpose in mind – consider what you want to get out of the competition as this will help you plan your competition, from choosing the right prize to deciding who to target and how to follow it up. It will also give you a benchmark against which you can measure the success of your competition.
- Make it as simple as possible for people to enter, particularly if this is your first competition. If people aren’t clear on what they have to do or you are asking for too much effort in relation to the prize being offered then they may not complete the process.
- Collaborate! Teaming up with one or more other people to run a competition can allow you to offer an even bigger and better prize and it also gives everyone involved the opportunity to reach each other’s audiences.
- Consider a follow-up offer – make the most of the interest that people have expressed in your business by making a follow-up offer to those people who weren’t lucky winners.
Think it through, pay attention to Instagram’s rules (it’s not worth the risk of breaking them!) and, most of all, have fun with it! Competitions are a chance to create a buzz so keep it fun and allow your own enthusiasm and excitement to infect your followers.