As Instagram hit the 1 billion user milestone, they announced the launch of their brand new video platform: IGTV.
IGTV is a new app for watching long-form, vertical video.
In other words, it is now possible to watch videos that are longer than 60 seconds on Instagram and vertical videos means that they will be optimized for mobile viewing.
There is a brand new, standalone app for IGTV but you will also find IGTV within the Instagram app.
When you open up IGTV you will be presented with content from people you already follow, along with others who you may be interested in. You can also swipe up to discover more videos.
You have the ability to like, comment and share videos in direct messages, just as you can on regular Instagram posts.
In a similar format to YouTube, anyone can become a creator and, when you get started, you will be asked to create your own channel.
What you need to know about IGTV
There are a few things you need to know to get started with posting your own videos on IGTV:
- You do not need to create a separate login for IGTV, you can log in with your existing Instagram account.
- Videos must be between 15 seconds and 10 minutes long (larger accounts / verified accounts can post videos up to 60 minutes long). It is expected that eventually there will be no time limit.
- Videos must be in MP4 format
- Videos should be vertical – that means you either need to record the video on your phone or edit your video post-recording.
- You can create your channel via the app or on a desktop at Instagram.com – there is a limit of one channel per Instagram account.
- Videos can be uploaded via the app or on a desktop at Instagram.com
- Currently, you can only edit titles and descriptions on your videos on a desktop at Instagram.com
- Creators can post links and more info with their videos
- Once your video is uploaded, you will be able to see insights including likes, comments and view count.
- When someone you follow posts a video on IGTV, you will receive a notification in the Instagram app.
This is an exciting new development in the world of social media and I can’t wait to see how it develops. I’ll be keeping you in the loop as I develop my own IGTV strategy so watch this space for more tips, insights and support!